What happens in Yr4
What happens in Year 4
Year 4 have PE on Tuesday(outdoors) and Wednesday(indoors) but we need to keep PE kits in school all week. Please ensure outside kit is now included as the weather is getting colder. Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit that is school colours and not football kits or non-school colours.
Daily: Reading on a regular basis is really good for the children and we encourage even the most competent readers to read at home to themselves or to someone else every day -it makes a huge difference!
Tuesday: Literacy homework is issued on Tuesday and is due back the following Tuesday.
Friday: Numeracy homework is issued Friday and is due back the following Thursday. Spellings are also issued on Friday to learn for a test the following Friday.
Helpful Hints for Homework
In Year 4 we also expect children to learn their times tables ready for the weekly tests. If they know all their tables it makes numeracy so much easier for them to complete. There are many ways that you can support your child with their Numeracy learning at home:
- Money – Go shopping, work out how much things cost and how much change you would get.
- Time – Encourage your child to read the time on both digital and analogue clocks. Read bus and train timetables and work out how long the journey will take.
- Measure – Let your child help with the cooking. Help them to measure ingredients accurately. Talk about what each division on a scale represents.
Expectation at the end of Year 4:
- Children will know their 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 and 12 times tables.
- Children will be able to count in multiples of 25 and 50.