What we do in Yr1
What happens in Year 1
Year 1 have PE on Monday. Due to the unpredictable weather can you please ensure your child has an inside and outside PE kit and can it be in school all week.
Maths homework is issued online through our homework site - Mathletics. Homework will be set weekly and the children will be named for bronze, silver or gold awards each week depending on their participation online.
Helpful Hints for Homework
There are many ways you can support your child with their numeracy at home:
- Play number games - Snakes and Ladders, Ludo, Dominoes, Card Games and Monopoly.
- Go shopping and get them to work out how much things cost and how much change you will get.
- Count as you go up and down stairs, count in two's, five's and ten's.
- Cook together - measure and weigh ingredients using scales, how long will it take to cook? What time will it be ready.
- Cut food items into halves and then quarters. Talk about the number of pieces.
- Count pocket money or coins from a jar.
End of Year 1 Expectation:
- Children will know their number bonds to 10 and 20.
- Children will be able to count in 2's, 5's and 10's
Tricky words are sent home regularly and they are checked weekly in the phonics session in class to ensure your child can read and spell them.
Please can you try and listen to your child read every day, it makes a huge difference! It could be the book they bring home from school, a magazine, a comic, a book from home - anything! Please record this in the reading diary so we can see what type of books your child is interested in. Reading books can be changed weekly on your child's group reading day.
Also, at home can you please look regularly at the calendar, discuss when significant birthdays are and at what time of year they happen. Whose birthday is before Christmas or after Mummy's? Practise saying the days of the week and months of the year in order.